What's Next After You Report?

Therapist counsels teenage girl in support group

Advocacy Follow-Up Services

Free advocacy will always be available to you after your initial anonymous report. If you need any future assistance or support relating to the assault, advocates can help guide you through those next steps. They can help you navigate the complexities of the legal and criminal systems, apply for legal protections, access support groups, etc.

Receiving Additional Medical Care

It is recommended that you get follow-up medical care after a sexual assault. Your Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) will provide you with information on free and low-cost follow-up health care with providers who are experienced in treating survivors of sexual assault at the end of your exam.

Know Your Rights

The Sexual Assault Victims' Bill of Rights Act and Crime Victims' Rights offer survivors specific rights during the medical examination process, collection of forensic evidence, during interviews and depositions, and in court. Survivors have these rights even if they choose not to participate in the criminal legal process. View our Survivor Bill of Rights Explainer to learn more.

Reporting to Law Enforcement

If you decide to change to a full law enforcement report at a later point, you have a few different options:

  1. If you were working with an advocate, you can contact them and they will guide you through the process.
  2. You can also contact the hospital where you received care and they will initiate the process of transferring your forensic exam records to law enforcement.
  3. Or, you can contact law enforcement directly. After your first contact, they will follow-up with you as soon as possible to schedule a full interview. If you have not heard back from law enforcement, you can contact them at any time using the contact information for the agencies listed below.

It’s possible law enforcement may need to transfer your kit to another law enforcement agency, depending on where your assault happened. If this is the case, you will be informed of what agency the kit is going to and provided with contact information for that agency so you can make the report to them. You have the right to decline to participate in any part of the criminal investigation, and you can have an advocate or support person with you during the reporting process and criminal investigation.

To speak with law enforcement, contact:


Omaha Police Department (OPD) Child Victim and Sexual Assult Squad (CVSA)
Phone: 402-444-5636

    • If you call between 7 a.m. and 10 p.m., Monday through Friday, you will be able to speak directly to an investigator.

Douglas County Sheriff's Office
Phone: 402-444-4358


Papillion Police Department
Phone: 402-597-2035

To speak with a court-based advocate, contact:


Douglas County Attorney's Office Victim Assistance Program
Phone: 402-444-4597
Email  Website


Sarpy County Attorney's Office Victim Assistance Program
Phone: 402-593-2201

FAQs + Definitions